There are a number of advantages and disadvantages of a single entry system that can be described as under:-
Advantages of Single Entry System
- Single entry system is easy to understand and it is simple to maintain and keep it on its track. There are no fixed set of principles associated with single entry system so it is easy to implement as well
- Single entry system is an economical system for implementation as it does not require skilled staff and professional accountants for hiring them to do the accounting procedures for the company. In addition to that large number of books are also not required to record the financial transaction in a single entry system
- In a single entry system it is easy to calculate the profit. The amount of loss and profit for a particular period can be calculated by calculating the difference between the opening and the closing balance of the period
Disadvantages of Single Entry System
- Single entry system is an unscientific and unsystematic system. There are no set rules or principles that made it a generic and standardize accounting system.
- This kind of system is an incomplete system as it does not record the two aspects of the accounting procedure
- No record of nominal account or the cash account is recorded by the single entry system except the capital account
- Single entry system does not support advance calculations such as calculation of trial and balance.
- Single entry system don’t reflect the true profit or true loss that occurs within that period
- There is a great tendency of occurrence of fraud and error in this entry system.
Other Related Accounting Articles: